Wednesday, December 7, 2011

2011: Comeback Album of the Year

"Circuital" My Morning Jacket   

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate bands who make efforts to further their sound, to move past what they have already done. However, these endeavors are not always successful.

Exhibit A: My Morning Jacket's 2008 release, Evil Urges. I just didn't get that album. It wasn't the My Morning Jacket I fell in love with. It was some weird progressive tribulation. I've never listened to King Crimson, but I imagine that is what King Crimson sounds like.

And it saddened me. My Morning Jacket were one of my favorite bans back then. At Dawn is pure magic. Still. It alternates from the skeletal folk-rock designs of The Tennessee Fire, to the full-stereo majesty of songs that tickle the Northern Lights from down-home Louisville like "The Way That He Sings". It's a beautiful record. Love at first listen. Hooked.

Next. I enjoyed the density and development of It Still Moves. It is a thick, heavy record. No bones are left showing from The Tennessee Fire. Z followed, and Jim James brought to the forefront some new sounds and revealed a funky love of Cosmic American Music. It was more Prince and Elton John than Neil Young, but I still dug it.

2011. Welcome back, Jacket. Circuital is solid. It reinvigorated my excitement for My Morning Jacket. It is a BIG salad containing bits and tastes of everything that makes Jim James' songs so touching, and still manages to push the band's sound in exciting new directions. It's not an uncontrollable meteor hurling God-knows-where like Evil Urges seemed to me. It's focused in its creativity and its craft.

Righteous Guitar Solo below:





No comments:

Post a Comment