Saturday, August 1, 2015

"Instant Disassembly," Parquet Courts, 2014


"Mamasita, catch me now as I sink
Into darkness I thought to be extinct
Chilled my eyeballs as the curtains were torn
And shed a light so bright
Shining like the day I was born"

"Instant Disassembly" by the Brooklyn band Parquet Courts has become one of my favorite indie rock tracks of the last few years. Indie music has gone so electronic heavy, so poppy synth heavy, when bands like Parquet Courts pop up, I am so relieved. Indie ROCK has a future. Guitars, drums, bass, unfiltered vocals. They still have a place. Bands can still rock in this era of machines.

All that said, perhaps I am not drawn to this track because it is glimpse into the future of indie rock. Maybe it pulls me because it reminds me of indie rock's glorious past. These guys grew up listening to the same music as me. They must have.

"Instant Disassembly" is a throw-back to the American post-punk sound of the 1980s and early 90s. Strip away Sonic Youth's feedback. Slow down the Minutemen. Let Fugazi rest for a bit. Make Stephen Malkmus smile a little more, in a less ironic way. Cram The Feelies into a time machine. Tell Television to lay off the guitar solos. If Stephen Merritt was not so-David Sedaris-y. Ask the Talking Heads to go back to their first rehearsal songs. All of this is what I hear in Parquet Courts' tracks.

"And it’s worth repeating
I can’t breathe, I can’t breathe
It’s hard to inhale yeah
I can’t breathe, I can’t breathe"



No comments:

Post a Comment