Wednesday, August 19, 2015

"Into My Arms," Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, 1997


"I don't believe in an interventionist God
But I know, darling, that you do
But if I did I would kneel down and ask Him
Not to intervene when it came to you
Not to touch a hair on your head
To leave you as you are
And if He felt He had to direct you
Then direct you into my arms"

This is a song of pure beauty. There is no other way to describe it. Nick's trademark baritone voice is as soft as it could ever be. And direct. Has there ever been a more direct opening line? Only a genius like Nick Cave could craft a line that shoots down every flimsy connection between religion and sappy love songs in the pop music cannon. Hey, I don't believe God's job is to bring you and I together... But just in case it is...


No comments:

Post a Comment