Friday, July 24, 2015

After three spins: Magnifique by Ratatat


Impressions of new releases after three listens...

Magnifique by Ratatat

Through five albums, over the course of 11 years, Ratatat have stayed true to their sound and vision. Each album is a Ratatat album. You can determine that within the first minutes of listening. The rich tones of the lead guitar will dance with the electronic beats, leaving you swimming in a mix of rock, hip hop, and world rhythms. All set in engaging instrumental arrangements.

Magnifique continues this work. It rings of a more stripped down set of songs, nowhere near as expansive as 2008's LP3. Magnifique is more of a guitar album than the last two releases. I read once somewhere that their debut album was described as being a mix between the Rolling Stones, Jay-Z, and Beethoven. I trued using that description to my wife before I took her to see Ratatat at the Palladium years ago. She raised an eyebrow. She thought I was crazy. Again. But on this new album, I definitely feel the more classic rock vibe. Just sub out Jay-Z and replace it with Daft Punk.

The album opens with a baroque sounding organ intro, reminiscent of the harpsichord break down in the Beatles' "In My Life." Classic rock and roll's influence appears early on.

"Cream on Chrome," the album's lead single is also the standout track to me so far. It is driven by a straight 4-beat drum sequence. Think "Billy Jean" by that one guy. The beat remains authoritative throughout, like a railroad chugging down the line. The guitar lick is clean and bright. It sets the tone for the tone of the album. Oops. Too many tones.

"Abrasive" is bright like industrial stainless steel, sanitized. Daft Punk's Discovery is the clear influence on the head guitar licks here. And the guitar shreds. It could live alongside anything on Discovery. Almost.

"Drift" features quirky keys in soft dance. It reminds me of a possible early outtake by My Morning Jacket. Random here.

"Nightclub Amnesia" continues the Daft Punk vibe. A dirty, funk guitar propels this number. Reminds me of "Da Funk."

"Supreme." I love this track. But it's not a typical Ratatat track. Rather than being tuned into French electronic house music. The boys here sound like they've been listening to one of my favorite instrumental albums--The Shadow of Your Smile by Friends of Dean Martinez. Or maybe they were listing to Santo et Johnny on repeat. Beautiful steel guitar slides up and down your ears. Like sweet, thick, syrup.

After three spins, I declare this album resides in the middle of Ratatat's discography. Not as great as the first 3 albums. But better than 2010's LP4. 

                                           


No comments:

Post a Comment