Monday, July 27, 2015

"I'll Be Your Mirror," Clem Snide, 2003


"I'll be your mirror
Reflect what you are, in case you don't know
I'll be the wind, the rain and the sunset
The light on your door to show that you're home"

I spent many teenage weeknight hours up in my bedroom with an acoustic guitar in my lap, ears to the speakers, trying to play along with many albums that spun my world. The first Velvet Underground album was one album I especially fell hard for. I tried my best to learn every song on the album's chord structures so I could play along with Lou and Sterling and John and Maureen. Nico sang for us. "I'll Be Your Mirror," as a hopeless teenage romantic was one of my favorite to strum along to.

Nico's voice is distinct. It is unmistakable. It is Nico. Cool, both in tone and concept, and monotone. However, I always felt that this song should have been sung by Lou. Later I heard a live version when he sung it after Nico left the band. Yes. That was better.

Recently, I heard this version by Clem Snide. I wasn't expecting it. Then it hit me. Holy crap, this is the Velvet's song. The song and the sentiment fit so perfectly with the Clem Snide sound and delivery.

I love when someone is able to cover a song so well that it sounds as if it was written for them to sing. It's rare when bands can do this. Clem Snide achieves this on "I'll Be Your Mirror."


No comments:

Post a Comment