Monday, July 20, 2015

"Stay Together" Suede, 1994


"Come to my house tonight,
We can be together in the nuclear sky. 
We will dance in the poison rain, 
We can stay a while in heaven today."

I had a copy of Suede's Singles that lived in rotation in my pick-up truck. I was always much more of a fa of their debut album's songs, but "Stay Together" from Dog Man Star stood out as an essential, crank up the volume, roll down the windows and wail along with Brett Anderson. I feel sorry for anyone who pulled up next me with their windows down. Not a pretty sight. Or sound.

This was a seminal song for long drives from Redondo Beach down to Carlsbad. When the 5 Freeway was wide open. It didn't really resonate with me lyrically. When the song hit me hardest, ten years ago, in my twenties, I was not in the place in my life to beg anyone to Stay Together with me. But, as a single guy courting single girls, the opening line's sentiment sang clear.

I was always a fan of the Brit-pop bands of the nineties (certain ones--no thank you, Oasis). Suede stood out as the band more influenced by glam rock, like Bowie and T Rex, as opposed to Blur's seeming obsession with The Kinks.

This is very clear in Brett Anderson's styling and poses in the video for "Stay Together." Oh, the 1990s. I still love and miss you.





No comments:

Post a Comment